Monday, March 23, 2009

Baby from another mother

Last weekend my husband and I travelled to West Palm Beach to visit my in-laws. I hadn't seen my sister-in-law in more than a year, and the last time we talked my husband and I were just starting to "try." So, it was quite obvious we were having trouble with the "succeeding" part. I told her of my adventures with Prometrium, blood tests, ovulation kits, and a hysterosalpingogram. I also told her I wasn't crazy about the idea of IVF.

She mentioned a close friend of hers who had just successfully adopted a newborn from Virginia. The process took about a year, a timeline that shocked me. I assumed it took about five years. The parents were in their mid-forties, and only married for a few months, and still were able to adopt a baby. The realization that I, too, could become a mother soon despite my difficulty in conceiving made me feel hopeful for the first time in a long, long time.

In an ideal world, I would give birth to my own child. But I also know, through my years of babysitting and volunteering, that I can love a child that is not mine genetically. I believe there's a little soul out there, waiting to become my child. It may just have to travel through another woman's body before he or she gets to me.

1 comment:

  1. My domestic adoption took 7 months from the day we submitted our first application to the day we held our 8-day-old daughter in our arms. If you are hearing about 5-year waits, I would have to question the source of your information.

    Have you checked out "Adoptive Families Magazine" yet? It's a great source for info. www.adoptivefamilies.com.

    ReplyDelete