Friday, July 17, 2009

Day three


I felt so much better today about everything. The injections this morning, performed by my husband, were not painful at all. My spirits were up the whole day, which I found surprising considering how most of what I've read about I.V.F makes it sound like you get very depressed and moody. Not so for me. At least so far.


The exciting part is that tonight I did my first injection on my own. I was very scared, shaking in fact. I practiced a few times on an orange, trying to get used to the sensation of the needle piercing the skin. About twenty minutes before I gave myself the injection, I took a bag of frozen blueberries from the freezer and placed it on my stomach. Once the area was numb, I swabbed it with an alcohol pad, and put the tip of the needle against my stomach. I closed my eyes, and pushed the tip in. Once the tip was in, I opened my eyes and pushed the rest of the needle into my skin. I pushed the plunger down so the medicine would go in. I then pulled it out and cleaned the area with alcohol.


I must say, I felt a bit high afterward. I am terrified of needles, and never believed I would be able to use one on myself. But I did. I looked fear dead in the eyes, and fear blinked. I feel so empowered now. A piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment