Wednesday, August 26, 2009

You're so pretty


The last words my mother ever said to me were, "You're so pretty." She then slipped into a coma and died ten days later. The thing is, when she was alive, she said those very words to me all the time. It would truly hurt her feelings if I ever put myself down in front of her.
Cut to: not yet three months after her death. I feel like my body has betrayed me, in the most excruciating way. I could not get pregnant naturally, as most women can. I had to undergo a very physically and emotionally grueling cycle of in vitro fertilization. And it worked. I became pregnant. And then my body failed me again. The embryo died inside me. It was like I had planted a rosebush in a pile of sand.
I want to be angry at myself. I want to look in the mirror and say terrible things about how I failed at the most basic human capability. But something is stopping me.
Yesterday, while cleaning out my mother's suitcase, I found one of her lipsticks. It was barely used. I'm pretty sure I bought it for her, because she hated to buy makeup for herself. I put the lipstick in my own makeup bag. And this morning, as I looked in the mirror, I saw my reflection and the face of the person who has kept me from what I want most in the world.
But it is also the face my beloved mother treasured so much she used her last words on this earth to complement it. And so I put on my mother's lipstick, looked at myself in the mirror, and said, "You're so pretty."

3 comments:

  1. Ivana, your readers thought this post was compelling and selected you at the BlogHer of the Week--an award we at BlogHer offer up to the best writing on the Web. You can read my write up on your post here: http://www.blogher.com/blogher-week-ivana-kidd-phantom-line

    Thanks for your post!

    Jory Des Jardins
    For Elisa, Jory, and Lisa
    BlogHer Co-Founders

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your losses. Congratulations on your beautiful writing and for continuing to see yourself as your mom did. What a gift.

    Willful Woman
    www.willfulwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an honor! Thanks to everyone who supported me.

    ReplyDelete