Sunday, September 6, 2009

La Quinta, Super 8, and Holiday Inn


My husband and I are driving home to San Diego to start our new life there. I guess it's not that new, considering my sisters, nieces, nephews, and friends all live there. It's quite bittersweet because my mother won't be there to welcome me back. It stings every time I think of it. Sometimes, before I go to sleep, I ask her to visit me in my dreams. It's strange, even though I don't dream of her, I feel like I've spent time with her, and it makes the pain ease up a little bit.


Driving to Abilene, Texas today. I'm looking forward to the scenery changing from lush and green to dry and brown. It's the native Southern Californian in me that craves parched landscapes.


We've got my two twelve-year-old cats and a rambunctious dog along for the ride. Our dog is pretty mellow in the car, but one of the cats meows her complaints about being stuck in the car for hours on end. The other cat waits until we hit the motel, then meows her dissatisfaction throughout the night.


I'm anxious about arriving in San Diego on Wednesday, though. It's my birthday, and it will be the first one without my mother. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment