Friday, January 8, 2010

A Notable Notary

I was in Target yesterday and was able to walk by the baby clothes without feeling sorry for myself. Here's why:
I mailed off the first round of required papers to the adoption agency. We had to get a form notarized first, and so Alex and I hit a notary in Hillcrest on Alex's lunch break. The office was the size of a coat closet. The man had a terrorist watch list posted in his bulletin board. Rush Limbaugh was blaring from the radio. Alex and I signed the form, then allowed him to look it over and apply his much-needed signature. Alex said "I like your storefront" and the man ignored him. Or maybe Rush was saying something particularly poignant at that very second and Mr. Notary didn't hear.
When he had stamped the form with his seal, he handed it to me and said, suspiciously, "What country are you adopting from?"
"Ethiopia," I answered.
His cheeks flushed red, and he said, without a trace of sincerity in his voice, "Good luck with that."
Alex and I left, laughing, as Alex said, "Two Jews adopting a child from Ethiopia. He probably burst a blood vessel."
Ah, the first encounter of many we will have with questionable people who disapprove of our family. It emboldens us in our decision all the more. In the words of a former (thank God) president, "Bring it on!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a jerk. So glad you and hubby don't let morons like that rain on your parade. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete