Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Never say never

My wise, late grandmother Esther was oft quoted saying, "Don't ever say you'll never do something, because you probably will." Ah, how prescient her words have turned out to be.

In this very blog I have, on several occasions, claimed I would never do IVF. The thought creeps me out, I said. And then I had my laparoscopy.

Doctors grade endometriosis on a scale of one to four, one being slight, and four being severe. Turns out, I'm a four. I had polyps, and ovarian cyst, and loads of scar tissue. One of my fallopian tubes had been deformed by the disease. The doctor told my husband after my surgery, whilst I was still in my anesthesia haze, that I had a less than five-percent chance of getting pregnant naturally. But, she said, I was a very good candidate for IVF. And giving birth would actually help me recover from my endometriosis.

At first I resisted, hating the thought of putting my body through so much, with no guarantee of a positive outcome. But it's something my husband wants. Really, REALLY wants. And so because we are partners, I have agreed to try at least one cycle.

Tomorrow we go in for a consult with my doctor to discuss exactly what a journey through IVF-land would entail. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment