Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Life, meet Wrench

I've been away from the blog for about two weeks, due to a major life change. Not the one I was hoping for, but something that weirdly mirrors it. My mother is sick, and I have moved her from California to Atlanta to take care of her. She requires constant care, with me waking up every four hours to provide her with medication and nutrition through a feeding tube.

Oddly, this has been a sneaky blessing. I am closer to my mother now than I have been in decades. Things that used to drive me crazy about her no longer bother me. And I'm gaining confidence in my ability to be a mother. I find I have patience and stamina that I didn't think I was capable of.

My surgery is still scheduled for Thursday. My MIL is coming to town to help with Mom while I'm recovering. I'm sure many madcap high jinks will ensue...

1 comment:

  1. I have just been reading your brilliant blog. I have literally laughed and cried, and my heart is aching for you having to go through this. What a lovely thing you are doing by writing about this so other folks can benefit. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete