Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working Mother

What mother doesn't work?  Even a woman who isn't employed outside the home basically provides unpaid labor to society by taking care of her children.  If she didn't, someone else would be making a salary doing it.  Now, I realize that the job of caring for children is viewed so lowly that we pay people (usually women) a wage barely above minimum to do it.  That doesn't mean the work isn't important.  The phrase "the most important job in the world" is bandied about when discussing motherhood, but it's not important enough to view with respect when a woman gives up paid employment to devote herself to raising her children.
Since my days babysitting in college, I have NEVER wanted to be one of those mothers who must work full-time outside the home.  In fact, I put off the idea of even having children, because unless I could be the one to raise them, I didn't want to do it at all.  It may sound spoiled to some.  But I spent too many hours with other people's children, watching them say and do amazing things, things that their parents missed out on.
I also treasure the memories of my very early childhood, on the days when my mom wasn't at work as a substitute teacher, taking walks together and looking at the pansies, eating cream of wheat with brown sugar for breakfast, and watching Sesame Street together.
I read The Feminine Mystique in college.  I strongly believe that women who find their happiness and sense of self-worth working outside the home should do so, with pride.  It is in the best interest of their children to have a mother who feels fulfilled and is happy.
But I have too many friends who are overwhelmed by being a full-time worker and a full-time mom.  The extra stuff: when the kid is sick, or has a dentist appointment, or soccer practice, always falls on the mom to do.  And so many of my friends are plagued with guilt because they feel they don't have enough time to do both jobs to the best of their abilities.
I've been trying to establish a freelance writing/reporter career for myself since moving back to San Diego in September.  Granted, I spent several months out-of-the-loop and dealing with grief.  But I'm moving forward, and applying for freelance reporting jobs right and left.  I want the option of being able to work from home, and make my own hours, if and when I become a mother.
My goal also is to be able to stay "employable" and keep myself relevant in the world of outside employment.  My husband is terrified if he is the sole provider when we have a child and loses his job, that we'll go to the poorhouse because no one will hire me if I'm "just" a stay-at-home mom.
Anyone else dealing with this conundrum?

2 comments:

  1. There are no easy answers. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you work full-time, you face never-ending guilt about your kids and co-workers who don't think you work hard enough. If you're a stay-at-home mom, people say you're a fool for giving up paying work and forcing yourself out of the workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I tell people that I'm going to be a stay at home mom they are absolutely not supportive. I am always told how bored I'm going to be. I'm asked how I'll ever find work when I'm ready to come back. I don't worry about that. My mom and dad both worked, HARD. I barely remember them being around when I was little. I don't want that for my children. If I can't be there to raise them myself, why would I have them? I don't look down on women who choose to work, as you said kids deserve to have parents who feel fulfilled. What I believe will fulfill me would be to be there for my children 24/7. I'm lucky my DH fully supports this decision and we've been fiscally responsible. He has a government job so job security isn't a problem. I say you have to go with your heart and what you feel will fulfill you. I also plan to go to school so when I'm ready to re-enter the workforce, hopefully I'll be "marketable". :)

    ReplyDelete