Thursday, April 1, 2010

NEW RULES FOR ETHIOPIAN ADOPTION

I wasn't sure I was allowed to write about this, but I looked online and several other blogs mention the change. My adoption agency contacted me today, and families who get their dossiers to Ethiopia after May 1 (and we fall into this category) will need to make TWO trips to Ethiopia. The Ethiopian courts have ruled that prospective adoptive parents must now attend in person the Federal Court Hearing.

There are so many ramifications from this change. I fear that many families who would have choosen Ethiopian adoption will now decide to adopt elsewhere because of the expense and hassle of two trips to Africa. There are SO many orphans in need in Ethiopia, and this could be tragic news. Because of this, I am even more steadfast in my decision to adopt our child from Ethiopia.

I will write more when I receive more information.

1 comment:

  1. Wow---that changes things a lot. Many people simply cannot afford two whole trips overseas! Kudos to you and your determination to stick with what you know is right for your family Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete