Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Home Study Stuff


It might seem like I'm mentioning the home study a lot, but it's pretty much all I think about these days.  Luckily, the brilliant ladies on the Inspire bulletin board had a post about the home study that eased my mind quite a bit.  Namely, what does it take to fail a home study?  The dozen or so women who responded to that question spelled it out this way - there are four reasons you fail a home study:

  1. Your health.  You have a terminal disease or an illness that would seriously impact your ability to parent a child.
  2. You have a violent criminal background.
  3. You don't have the financial resources to raise a child.
  4. You are dishonest with the social worker about your background.
There is a history of abuse in my family (my sisters and I were the victims) and as tough as it is to talk about, I know I have to be completely honest with the social worker.  It might feel like I'm being judged, and that the assumption is I can't be as good of a parent as a woman who wasn't abused.  But I've been told that the social workers are generally an open-minded group.  One helpful woman described the home study as a job interview where the person interviewing you really wants you to get the job.

More on this later...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and so glad the Inspire site is helping you out!! I found it very helpful myself. Honesty is always the best policy, and sometimes it's the hardest route but through your blog it seems to me you'd be an amazing mother and there are some very lucky children out there who will become yours soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete